March 23, 2013

Paula Deen's Lighter Chicken Divan

I have wanted to try Paula Deen's chicken divan recipe for a long time now but everytime I look at the ingredients I put the recipe right back in my binder; the dish is full of full fat mayonnaise, sour cream and cheese, delicious I'm sure, but not very healthy.  The other day I had a portion of the afternoon off from work and I was really craving a hearty chicken dish for dinner, so I searched the web for a lighter version of Paula's famed chicken divan and I found one!  Now this recipe is still not the healthist (there is 1/2 cup of light mayo in it) but I ended up omitting a couple of ingedients to make it even healthier and avoid cheese (I believe the originial recipe called for shredded cheese in the sauce).  Here is is ...
 
Lighter Chicken Divan
Ingredients
1 bag steamable frozen broccoli florets
3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
2 garlic cloves, minced/1 TBS pre-minced garlic
1 (10 oz) can heart healthy cream of mushroom soup
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup light mayonnaise
½ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt or light sour cream
½ cup parmesean cheese (optional)
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup bread crumbs
2 cups cooked rice
 
Directions
Grill the chicken then set aside to cool ~ in a large mixing bowl mix together the can of cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, greek yogurt (or sour cream), minced garlic and salt and pepper ~ once mixed, set aside ~ microwave the steamable frozen broccoli for half the time needed to cook the entire bag ~ while the broccoli is defrosting grease an 8x8 pan ~ place the half cooked broccoli in the bottom of the 8x8 greased pan ~ shred the chicken and add that to the pan, on top of the broccoli ~ once complete pour the sour/yogurt/mayo mixture on top of the chicken and broccoli ~ top with bread crumbs and bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until bubbly.  Enjoy!
 
 
The dish turned out awesome!  I served it over rice which made it filling and flavorful!  The leftovers also reheated really well for lunch the next day.  This recipe got two thumbs WAY up from the crowd.  Give it a try - it's a great weeknight meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment