September 4, 2011

Soup Sunday!

What better way to spend a lazy Sunday than to make soup out of fresh vegetables!!  I really didn't have a recipe and wasn't exactly sure what the end result would be, but the soup turned out amazing and I now definitely have some healthy meals for the upcoming week!

* * Side note - I have still been going strong with my desire to adapt a more plant based diet.  I have been eating (nearly) strictly vegetarian lately and have been discovering new recipes along the way!! * *

I started with a bunch of veggies from the Farmer's Market - carrots, celery, onions, parsley, peppers and sweet corn on the cob!  I copped up a bunch of the vegetables to make the broth and sauteed them with some olive oil for about five minutes.


Once they are good and hot I added water and brought the mixture to a boil.  Once at a boil I lowered the heat and allowed the mixture to simmer for about two hours.

 

Once the broth is ready I drained the cooked vegetables and placed the broth back in the pan.  (More often than not the broth may still be a little 'watery' so you may need to add some vegetable bouillon cubes to boost the flavor).  I then chopped the vegetables for the soup, I included - red and green peppers, fresh sweet corn on the cob, onions, carrots, celery and broccoli.  I also added a can of dark red kidney beans!  I brought the soup to a boil and allowed it to cook for about an hour, just enough to soften and cook the vegetables but still retain all the favor.


During this time I also cooked (separately) some mini spiral noodles.  Once the soup is ready I divided it into various tupperware contains, some to freeze for later the rest of eat during the week. 


And voila!  The final result!  Perfectly vegetarian (and vegan)! 

Yum!

Tomorrow I plan on making some challah bread to go with the soup and cook up some more black and kidney beans which will mix perfectly with some freshly cooked rice later on in the week.

No work tomorrow because of Labor Day so I am staying up late and sleeping in tomorrow!  I feel like such a rebel!

No comments:

Post a Comment