December 1, 2012

Spicy Sausage Pasta

Over the past couple of weeks I have been making an effort to try some new dishes - I felt like I had fallen into a rut, cooking us the same 5 things over and over again.  Well in an attempt to remedy my dinner rut I discovered a new recipe blog - Plain Chicken and it is awesome!  So far this week I have made two recipes from her blog and I plan on making another tonight!
 
So last night was Friday, I worked until 5 PM and we had a movie to see at 7 PM.  (The Silver Linings Playbook - it was great!)  I had bought the ingredients for this dish earlier in the week because it looked 'that good' and I figured last night would be the perfect time to give it a whirl!  
 
Spicy Sausage Pasta - a one skillet/dutch oven dish that was spicy enough to knock your socks off!  Obviously you can adjust the levels of spice but between the crushed red pepper and the habanero cheese this dish pretty much cleared out our sinuses.  But it was delicious nonetheless!  Here's the recipe ...
 
Spicy Sausage Pasta
(Adapted from Plain Chicken)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb smoked turkey sausage, sliced
1 tsp dried onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz campanelle pasta
1 cup shredded habanero Cheese
(for a less spicy dish - Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese)

Instructions
 In a dutch oven (can also use a skillet) cook the sausage until lightly browned in 2 Tbsp of olive oil ~ Once the sausage is cooked add chicken broth, cream, tomatoes, pasta, (dried) onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper ~ Bring to boil then reduce heat and cover for 15 - 20 minutes ~ Once the time has elapsed and the pasta is cooked remove from heat and mix in 3/4 of the cheese ~ plate the pasta and top with the remaining 1/4 of cheese.
 
That's it!  One pot used and it was SO SO good!  And the best part about this dish is that it is so versatile, you could make it with chicken instead of sausage and add any type of veggies.  A definite must try for weeknight meals!
 
Spicy Sausage Pasta!
Note - this is not my picture - it is from Plain Chicken
Note II - my iPhone is on it's last leg and my picture taking of late has been seriously reduced, holding out until January 1st when the new iPhone 5 will be purchased!
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment