February 19, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Chili

Last week I made an awesome buffalo chicken chili - it was so spicy that it had me sweating and my coworkers couldn't handle it, but despite that I thought it was delicious!  A couple days before I made the chili I had made boneless chicken wings and smoothered them in homemade buffalo wing sauce - they were awesome and I had enough wing sauce left over to use for the buffalo chicken chili!  Both recipes were adapted from Plain Chicken!

Homeade Buffalo Wing Sauce
Ingredients
2 cups red hot sauce (I used Frank's)
1/2 cup melted butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp seasoning salt
 
Directions
Melt butter and combine with hot sauce ~ mix in remaining ingredients ~ whisk until combined ~ serve over chicken wings and/or use in chili!
 
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Ingredients
1.5 - 2 LBs ground chicken
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 can chili beans, undrained
(an vegetarian chili beans will work)
2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup homemade buffalo sauce
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 medium onion (or 3 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes)
(** for extra spice add 1 tsp - 1 tbs red pepper flakes)
 
Directions
In a large skillet or dutch oven brown the ground turkey until no longer pink ~ once finished drain and place in/return to dutch oven ~ add all remaining ingredients ~ stir throughly ~ bring to boil and then reduce heat to slightly above 'low' setting ~ cover and allow to simmer for 25 - 30 minutes ~ top with cheese, crackers or sour cream - or if you're a chili purest like me - eat it plain!
 
Spicy and delicious!  Buffalo Chicken Chili!

No comments:

Post a Comment