June 24, 2013

Sweet & Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes

I am eating more and more sweet potatoes lately, and I am liking them!  It was never that I disliked sweet potatoes, we just never ate a lot of them growing up (and maybe I didn't like them back then), but today I am finding them a much better alternative to pasta and white potatoes.  So anyway, the other night I wanted a sweet potato but I didn't want to simply bake it and then eat it with a little butter and salt - I wanted something different!  I looked up a couple recipes online and ended up combining a few of them - the end result was awesome!  The potatoes were sweet and then brought the heat!  I served the sweet potatoes with a piece of fish and some fresh broccoli. 
 
Sweet & Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
 
Ingredients
1 large or 2 smaller sweet potato
2 - 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 1/2 tsp light brown sugar
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
(more or less depending on your desired level of heat)
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp salt
 
Instructions
Wash and then cut the sweet potato (skin included) into approximately 2 inch cubes and place in a shallow baking dish ~ in a small bowl combine the light brown sugar, onion and garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chili powder, paprika and salt ~ pour the EVOO over the sweet potatoes and mix until potatoes are coated ~ pour the spice mix over the coated sweet potatoes, distributing easily ~ using a spatula mix the sweet potatoes until they are coated with the spice mix ~ bake at 400 degrees for approximately 25 minutes or under sweet potatoes are tender.
 
 Sweet potatoes pre-cooking!
 
Post-cooking!  Yummm!

No comments:

Post a Comment