February 12, 2012

Adventures In Homemade Spaghetti Sauce (and Other Homemade Deliciousness!)

I decided to make homemade spaghetti sauce today.  Oddly enough I had never made or even attempted to make sauce.  Not only did I set out to make homemade sauce I also decided to make homemade turkey meatballs and challah bread from scratch!

Here are some pictures of the spaghetti sauce with recipe to follow.

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
2 cans crushed tomatoes
2 cans tomato puree
1 small can tomato paste
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
4-5 cloves fresh garlic
1-2 fresh onions, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
1/2 tsp. dried basil or 2 tbsp. fresh, minced
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup sugar (added near the end of cooking)

 Heat the olive oil and then add the onion.  Add minced garlic and any other vegetables (I also added a red and green bell pepper and half a zucchini) and sautee.  Add the tomato paste and mix well.  Add the tomato puree and crushed tomatoes.  Add various seasonings, mix well and cook on low or in a crock pot for 6 hours.  
(I cooked it in a crock pot because I knew I would not be home the entire 6 hours.)

Next up was the turkey meat balls!  I decided to use turkey instead of ground beef because it is much leaner and to be honest I think they turned out MUCH better than the ones typically made with ground beef.

Turkey Meat Balls
1 LB ground turkey
1 egg
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 chopped onion
Seasoning - garlic powder and onion salt


I also made some challah from scratch - which I previously blogged about here!

And the final result of it all!  It was pretty delicious!
(See Mother - I'm eating at my table!)

Oh and I also made muffins!

Banana Oat Peanut Butter Muffins
1 cup flour 
3/4 cup quick cooking oats 
1/3 cup packed brown sugar 
1 tablespoon baking powder 
1 cup milk 
1 egg
1/2 cup peanut butter 
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana 
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix everything together - I normally double the recipe and it yields about 24 muffins.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 - 25 minutes.  Serve warm or heat up in my microwave for about 10 - 15 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment