January 15, 2013

Revisiting Vegetarian Three Bean Chili

I love using my crock pot, especially in the winter when one of the best ways to end a lazy Sunday is with a bowl of soup or chili.  In the past I have been notorious for eating too much vegetarian chili - but I love it, it freezes well, is healthy and will really fill you up!  So I decided that this past Sunday would be perfect for day for veggie chili!  A couple people have asked for my recipe so here it is!

Vegetarian Three Bean Chili
3 cups dried beans (approximately) - 1 cup kidney, 1 cup black and 1 cup
1 large zucchini
1 large onion
2 large peppers (1 red and 1 green)
2 cans (1 - 30 oz and 1 - 10 oz) of petite diced tomatoes
1 (10 oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 - 1/3 dark chili powder (approximately - or less if desired)
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
Instructions
Combine the beans and place them in a large bowl - cover with water and let them soak over night - in the morning drain and place in a crock pot - chop the zucchini, peppers and onion and add to crock pot as well - add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder and crushed red pepper and mix well.
Cook on low for approximately 10 hours or high for approximately 6 hours.
Stir occasionally.
Serve with Saltines or corn bread - top with cheese, sour cream or whatever you like!

Soaked beans ready for the crock pot!
Peppers, onion and zucchini! 
(Using frozen peppers - when peppers are in season I buy a ton and then slice and freeze them for later use)
Chopping the zucchini!
PS - Doesn't my new iPhone 5 take awesome pictures?!  Such a step up from the 3G!
 Of course I was too busy eating the final product to remember to take a picture - but I promise it was super delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment