May 12, 2013

Spinach & Tortilini Stew

I wasn't really sure what to even call this crock pot creation.  I sort of found it online somewhere, I think, modified it and basically eneded up just throwing a bunch of stuff in the crock pot and hoped that it would turn out well - which it did!  The dish wasn't quite a soup, more like a stew and included chicken broth, italian tomatoes, frozen tortellini and spinach!  Even though it is almost summer and was pretty warm the day I made it I was craving something hearty, that would require minimal effort and would be ready when I got home from a long day of work and errands.

Spinach & Tortellini Stew
  
Ingredigents
1 box low sodium chicken broth
2 cans Italian style petite diced tomatoes
1 bag frozen tortelini
1/2 - 3/4 bag fresh spinach
6 - 8 oz cream cheese (I used neufchatel)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
 
Instructions
Place chicken broth, 2 cans of tomatoes, frozen tortellini, fresh spinach and seasonings in crock pot ~ cube the cream cheese (make them small cubes) and place them in crockpot as well ~ stir well ~ cook on low for 5 - 6 hours.
 
(Two caviots of this dish - 1) do not overcook, my crock pot flipped to the 'warm' setting after the 6 hours and sat there for a while, because of this the tortellini was overcooked and 2) if you can, I would recommend stirring every hour or so, if you don't the cream cheese cubes won't 'melt' all the way).
 
Other than those two caviots the dish was pretty awesome.  I think if I had made it on a day when I was at home it would have been even better!  This would be a great fall or winter weeknight meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment