In order to de-stress this weekend (I will blog about what has been stressing me at some point) I (of course) decided to bake and cook! This weekend it was carrot and zucchini cake with vanilla icing and a cheesy veggie chowder soup!
Cheesy Veggie Chowder
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped carrot
2 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup milk
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
Melt the butter in a large soup pot.
Add onions, carrots, and celery and sauté over medium heat until tender.
Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.
Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender.
Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through. Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.
Carrot and Zucchini Bars
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Then fold in the carrot and zucchini
- In another bowl combine add the flour, baking powder, ginger, and baking soda and whisk to blend together.
- Add to flour mixture to the wet mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Spread batter into 9 x 12-inch baking pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.